Be a Smart Voter - Learn about Candidates & Ballot Initiatives!
November 3rd is rapidly approaching. Check out these upcoming online events and workshops before casting your vote in this year’s election.
In the first full week of October, students will have opportunities to ask questions of candidates for Congress and the California State Senate in two town halls organized by the Associated Students Lobby Corps. State Senator Mike McGuire will meet with the HSU community on Monday, October 5 at 4pm while Jared Huffman will meet with the HSU community on Thursday, October 8 at 3pm. Both town halls will be moderated by Dr. Aaron Donaldson from the Department of Communication. Students can attend these events through the following links:
- Monday, October 5 at 4pm: Town Hall with State Senator Mike McGuire
- Thursday, October 8 at 3pm: Town Hall with Congressman Jared Huffman
The Library is offering voter education SkillShops beginning on Friday, October 2. One SkillShop will focus on researching the California state ballot initiatives while the other will cover voting down-ballot on elected officials and initiatives at the local and state level. Each workshop will be offered multiple times and will be held on Zoom. You can register for these SkillShops by clicking on the links below. Each link will list the days and times that the SkillShop is offered and you can choose to attend one or more sessions:
- Researching The California State Ballot Initiatives (10/2 @ 12pm, 10/13 @ 4pm, 10/29 @ 3pm)
- Down-Ballot Voting (10/7 @ 4pm, 10/16 @ 3pm, 10/26 @ 4pm)
The Humboldt County Library, as part of their Vote Smarter campaign, is offering the following online programs. Please pre-register on the Google form and you will be emailed a Zoom invite with the event link:
- Monday, October 5 at 7pm: The Pros and Cons of Propositions, with the League of Women Voters of Humboldt County
- Saturday, October 17 at 3:30pm: How to Vote in the time of COVID-19, with Kelly Sanders from the Humboldt County Elections Office
- Tuesday, October 27 at 5:30pm: Making Informed Choices When Voting Locally, with Garrett Purchio from the Humboldt State University Library
Additionally, the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement and OLLI's Brown Bag Lunch Presentations will be offering the following workshop. Read more about it and RSVP here.
- Monday, October 12 at 12pm: November Election Issues with the League of Women Voters